Friday, February 18, 2011

One of My Favorite Things ~ Is Leaving Us!

When we bought this place back in the Spring of 2009. A enormous fixture caught our attention at first glance. It's stately presence hinted at afternoons spent under the coolness of it's canopy. It had been living for well over 50+ years. People in the community have spoken of it being here during their childhoods. It's a very large White Oak with plenty to tell if it could speak the history of this once thriving farm.

Our delight turned quickly that Summer when to our dismay we learned that half of the tree was dead. Something you couldn't tell until the green leaves began to unfurl. It still gave us some cooling shade on the front porch, despite it's sickly state. I love old trees and often tried to imagine the activities that took place under it boughs for all the years it has been present of this land. It soon became a concern with the storms and wintry weather that our tree couldn't stand the stress. Each time we had high winds or soaking rains another portion of the limbs would come crashing down. Even striking the roof of our home on occasion, a definite no-no! The decison was made that it would have to come down.


Not knowing exactly how we would get that accomplished within our budget. We waited, watched it's decline and prayed it wouldn't do any damage to our home or ourselves as we moved about in the yard. That is until we learned that a fellow fireman had a mechanical lift and the willingness to come give us a hand.


CJ arrive today with the needed equipement to start dismantling the aged tree. Limb by limb was severed and dropped to the ground for Lon to cut into mangable pieces. I sat on the porch watching as our tree continued to die a slow death. I hate loosing it, but knew of no way to save it. It has lived out it's life as all trees must do. Giving way to new trees to take it place in the sun as it moves on to a different purpose.

As much as I hate the lost, I am fully aware of the gift of hearth warming firewood it will provide for us next winter. I am thankful for that and the safety of our home. Plus I was reminded that no longer will we have a bevy of vultures camping out in it at night anymore. That's not a sight one likes to see when first drawing back the curtains each morning. Now they will have to pick a new place for their slumbering.


The job is finished yet as some of it's height is beyond the lift's capabilites. But CJ promised to return with a friend who is a tree surgeon to finish the job. Now I need only ponder the choices for a replacement tree. I'm thinking a charm of the south might be a good choice ~ Pecan tree. Not only do they give good shade, but it treats you to a harvest of some tasty nuts each year too.

Saying goodbye to a pleasure that won't be forgotten,

Deborah

No comments: