Began in earnest on June 26, as we spent our first night here at the farm. After moving all of our furniture that day, we laid our heads on quickly applied sheets before the midnight hour struck. We had been waiting for this day for quite awhile and it was quite a day to be sure. The Lord sent an "angel of mercy" to help us move when He sent our son home from a job site in New Jersey, just hours before the move began. After driving 12 hours and arriving at 5am, he jumped right in with no sleep and little to nourish his body for the task ahead. Lon and I knew that we only had each other for this move as everyone else was working. He was truly a gift from the Lord to us that day. Thank you Jason, for going beyond the duty of a loving son to help your parents move. Fifty-three year old bodies just don't move like they used to. (no comments from the peanut gallery) Without you we would still be trying to move the heavy stuff like the bookcase. LOL.
The next day saw the animals moved in two trips back and forth and being placed in quickly erected housing made ready for them. All of them came out but the biddies who stayed one more night with Jason till we were set up and ready for them. We even had 2 turkeys in tow, as we had acquired them literally just a few days before we move. Given to us by a sweet couple we had became friends with at church. Thank you William and Sue. We are going to miss you. Come out and see the turks in their new surroundings and hear their sweet calls again.
We are officially here! YEA! ! ! ! ! !
Spending my first night alone on the place came quickly as we only had two days to get stuff moved and stacked around before Lon was due to be back on duty. After moving an ump-gillion boxes and shoving furniture into place all day. I was too tired to worry about being out in the middle of all this space alone. Black except for the security light on the power pole, quite and peaceful as it was. No worry though~ Tigger, my cat of 14 years kept me company at bedside. Due in part because he wasn't too sure where I had brought him to and wasn't too keen on checking out the place. He will have his own adjustments to make in the days and nights ahead. New sights, new smells and wide open spaces greeted his twitching ears and dilated eyes that first night. I have heard you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but can you teach an old cat a new way of living?
The first Sunday after the move we attended a small church just down the road, less than 5 minutes from the house. It felt funny waiting around till time to leave, as we have never had that much spare time on a Sunday morning before. It was our second visit to Bethel East and was just as warmly welcomed as we had been the first time. We received an invite from one of the families to come over to their place and pick fresh blueberries. An activity that I have not been able to do as of yet, but plan to. I see a fresh blueberry pie in our future. The very next week I had visitors on 3 separate occasions. A friend's mother and one of the ladies I had met from the church came to pay us a call, bringing a sweet gift of homemade chocolate chip cookies baked just that morning. The second visit came with a return of Mrs.Marlene to purchase 3 dozen eggs from me and to bring me a lovely teapot to add to my collection as a house-warming gift. Our third visit that week came from our cookie baker and her husband to "welcome us to the community and say how glad they were that we had moved into the area". Mr. Tracy and Mrs. Janice brought a house-warming gift of a couple of ripe tomatoes from their garden and a jar of pickles that Mr. Tracy had put up. Yummy, yummy! You just can't beat the homegrown hospitality found in the the country life. Everyone we have met is friendly and ready to help if the need should arise. Phone numbers were exchanged using only the last 4 digits, 2499, 6333, etc. There is no need for a 10 digit number to be shared or recalled as there are so few living in the area to warrant using it. Names, faces and numbers are easily memorized and called upon. Folks just being who they are and sharing what they have with those around them. Try to find that in the city life of multitudes.
There is so much I want to share, but I need to gather my thoughts first. That is after I unpack the mountain of boxes still waiting on me. I only have one short week before I will have to be re-packing for another adventure. One that will take me hundreds of miles from home to the country of Honduras. The mission trip will be here before I can turn around and find a place to sit down for a rest. My hubbie will get to experience the farm life in it's entirety while I am away for a week of mission's work. Coming home will be filled with surprises I am sure, as he will have completed some loose ends on the house and the chicks I know will be twice their size. It is a home-coming that I am looking forward to.
When ever you can, stop by for a visit.
There's room on the front porch for another chair and a great view awaits you.
Till then,
Deborah
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment